Tarpon Springs Yacht Club was founded in April 1949 by a group of boaters and business and civic leaders from our community. Meetings were originally held in the Upham House Hotel until land could be purchased to build a clubhouse.
In 1954 financing was obtained and a clubhouse and docks were built and the club was incorporated. During the first year, our burgee was designed with a white tarpon on a blue field and a ships wheel in red for a more nautical appearance. An auxiliary called the “Windjammers” was formed and their fundraising efforts were instrumental in helping the club move ahead.
Tarpon Springs Yacht Club is proud to be among the original thirteen Florida yacht clubs who in 1960, formed what is known today as the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs (FCYC). This representative body was formed to encourage the sport of yachting, and general club activities, to promote safety afloat, to encourage reciprocity between qualified yacht clubs and to promote beneficial legislation. Today 36 clubs are represented in the FCYC.
Please click flag to send email.